Indie hackers and maker communities are on the rise, with Product Hunt as an example, but investors should focus on long-term factors like retention, growth, and revenue rather than hype cycles for success.
- Indie hackers and other maker communities are becoming increasingly popular due to the accessibility of building products, with Product Hunt being a prime example of the cultural relevance and interest in technology and discovering new products.
- YC is a good opportunity to raise money and get notable tech people involved, as seen with Zapier's success.
- The speaker's company received more funding than expected, including a series from Marc Andreessen, due to the support of a strong community and the opportunity for growth.
- Buzz and excitement don't necessarily lead to success in social products, as it's rare for everyone to be constantly using them, and even when a product is hot, it doesn't always correlate with long-term success, as seen in the case of Coinbase.
- Investors should focus on long-term factors like retention, growth, and revenue rather than hype cycles when evaluating a company's potential success.
- Brian Armstrong founded Coinbase and despite facing challenges, investors placed a bet on the future of crypto.