Sales is a key responsibility for founders, and prospecting through personal networks, conferences, and concise, customized cold emails can lead to success.
- Tyler, CEO of Clever, shares his experience of figuring out sales on the fly and how it has been a key piece in making Clever grow quickly as a software platform for schools.
- As a founder, it's important to realize that sales is your responsibility and that your passion for the product and industry knowledge can make up for lack of sales experience.
- Sales is a funnel with different stages, and prospecting is the process of figuring out who will even take your call, which is a numbers game.
- There are three successful ways to prospect: personal network, conferences, and cold email, with the key to cold email being conciseness and customization.
- When making sales calls, remember to listen more than you talk and focus on understanding the customer's needs.
- To close a deal in sales, it is important to listen to the customer's problem, have an unhuman willingness to follow up, and focus on getting a yes or no quickly.