The speaker formed a successful relationship with Tencent by demonstrating unique value, buying half of 10 cent, and moving to the US, while retaining a lot of shares with the potential to ask for more over time.
- The speaker formed a relationship with $0.10 by demonstrating unique value and helping with expansion, ultimately buying half of 10 cent and moving to the US.
- To ensure the success of the company, it was important for shareholders to not interfere, which led the speaker to move to the US and become an employer immediately after signing the deal.
- Started a deal 17 years ago with Charles Searle, who went on the board of Tencent, and they are still working together today.
- A unique model of selling a big chunk of equity to a third party and retaining a lot of shares with the potential to ask for more shares over time is a great guideline for complex shareholder relationships.
- Tencent is a profitable company with a diverse range of products including gaming and messaging, and has grown significantly since 2001.